Separated from my ex who is an alcoholic

Johnmean

Separated from my ex who is an alcoholic

Post by Johnmean » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi I've been separated from my ex partner for around 5 months. We have a 6 month old daughter together. My ex was a recovering alcoholic when we got together, she was doing well in her recovery. She picked up last December when she was 6 months pregnant. We got through this and thankfully our baby was fine at birth, 3 weeks early and very small but fine.

We split less than 2 weeks after our daughters birth. I had my suspicions she was drinking again, I wanted to help but when I asked her if she'd been drinking. She lost it, ended the relationship and stopped me seeing my daughter for 10 weeks. Contact has been steady and I've been getting more and more time with my little girl. Overnights and flexibility whence been working late.

The relationship between her mother and I has got better as well. Sharing pictures of our little girl etc. Everything was going so well, until last night. I had my daughter overnight as arranged. The mother turned up at mine drunk and with her 7 year old son. I didn't confront her about being drunk straight away as in the past it made the situation worse. She started with the abusive behaviour so I asked her to leave because she was drunk. It got really nasty but she left. She said she would stop contact between me and my daughter. I logged this incident with the police and now I'm worried that once she gets my daughter back she will stick to her word.

I've held on to my little girl and again have her overnight as I presume my ex is still drinking. I won't give her back if I suspect she's drinking. I want to go for joint custody but my finances aren't in great shape for the court fees. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is there a way to get shared custody without it financially crippling me?

Frankie

Re: Separated from my ex who is an alcoholic

Post by Frankie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:20 am

Have you tried Citizens advice ?

The Real Eagle AVFC

Re: Separated from my ex who is an alcoholic

Post by The Real Eagle AVFC » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:11 pm

I exchanged everything I owned for 2 little girls when their mum was in an equally poor state. It was the best thing I ever did.