Anxiety/panic attacks

ttank*123

Anxiety/panic attacks

Post by ttank*123 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:45 pm

I’m not a new dad,my daughter is 10,and I’m 45.
Everything started relatively normally,although she did have some early health issues,which were quickly rectified.
I was a stay at home dad for the first few years,and I took looking after her like a duck to water,while my partner went off to work.
She went to nursery,and everything was fine,but when she started going to school I noticed I started getting anxious particularly when I was around a lot of people.
This gradually got worse,and I actually started worrying about taking her to school and any public place,and I didn’t know why.
It was affecting my everyday life particularly where my daughter was concerned.
I didn’t want to miss out on her school plays etc.but I often had to force myself to go.
In general I hid my anxiety well,but it got to a point where people started to notice.
It was only at this point that I sent to see my GP to get help.
Are any of you going through this experience,or done so in the past,and need to talk?

Omegamale

Re: Anxiety/panic attacks

Post by Omegamale » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:21 am

What did your GP say/do?

ttank*123

Re: Anxiety/panic attacks

Post by ttank*123 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:33 pm

Hi,he put me on a mild anti depressant.
I’ve been on these for quite a while now,and they do take the edge off my symptoms,but more importantly they enable me to cope more easily with everyday tasks.
Although they do help,my GP urged me to “face up to my fears”.
For me this meant putting myself in stressful situations but on my terms,with an easy exit if it became too stressful.
In my case this was hard initially,but has become increasingly easier.
I just wish I had gone to see my GP earlier
If you are thinking about visiting your GP but have been putting it off like I did,just do it.
You have nothing to lose and it could drastically improve your quality of life.